It’s been described as ‘a contorted mass of entrails’, ‘a catastrophic collision between two cranes’ and ‘an obnoxious statement’. And I agree!! But my family think I’m a Philistine! The new Olympic Orbit Tower has now been unveiled and provoked a range of responses. The Olympic Torch has been lit and is now travelling the country. The churches in the UK have a once in a lifetime opportunity thanks to the 2012 Games. This global sporting event held on our doorstep gives us a unique chance for Christian witness that could last way beyond the games themselves. Let’s pray that we will take this chance to engage effectively with our communities around the games, and reach many thousands of overseas visitors this summer. Every time you glimpse that Tower – and the Torch - why not commit this opportunity to the Lord.
1. A Passion for Mission – 26 June in London. The annual A Passion for Mission is part of a series of events aimed at discerning what God might be saying to the UK church - especially about mission. This year we look at Cities – the new unreached? Come and join us as we hear from those ministering in urban environments, especially mega cities, both to the poor and also to the privileged. We will focus together on how we can take up this challenge. Follow the link to book online.
2. Urbanisation: Within the next few months there are some other key events within the GC network tackling the issue of urbanisation. For more information click on the following links: Peace, Justice, Community and the Kingdom of God – 8 June in Birmingham. Integral Mission & Urban Mission Conversation – 21 June in Carlisle. Believing in the City: An Interdisciplinary Consultation on Urban Issues – 27-28 June in Glasgow.
3. Resources for churches Where do church leaders go to find good resources to help them think more clearly about mission and how to develop mission in their church? One of the key aspects of our vision is to encourage and support local churches as they seek to develop the ways in which they serve in mission. Our new website for resourcing churches has a great range of resources and links – do take time to browse. And if you know of any mission resources that churches might benefit from and that we could add to the site, please email Paul Tuckwell.
4. Many churches and organisations benefit from our standards and guidelines relating to different areas of ministry. Have you seen our TCK Guidelines? These guidelines are designed to give guidance in developing appropriate policies and procedures to any UK based organisation or UK church sending families and children overseas. If you know of people who would benefit from joining the TCK Forum, or families who would benefit from our camps for children and teenagers this summer, further information can be found on our website.
5. Other resources from the network: The CMS Crowther Centre Library holds 29,000 books and journals, forming one of the most significant mission studies libraries in the UK. Anyone interested in the history and theology of Christian mission is welcome to use the library - there is a very small individual charge with discounts available for students and organisations. If you know of other resources that would benefit the network, do let us know and we will make them known.
6. Resources and forum information Are you receiving all the relevant information you would like from us? Perhaps there are publications, forums or events that you are unaware of? Take a moment to double check by visiting our online form and register for the various resources and communications listed.
7. GC Forum events Further details on all the events listed are available using the links provided or visit forum events for a longer list of what is coming up in the next few months:
- Communication Officers Forum – 24 May in London. Prayer Resources. How could we better inspire Christians, young and old, to pray for both our ministries and world mission as a whole?
- Thinking Mission Forum – 29 May in Birmingham. How do we relate the daily news with our wider missiological concerns? Or are the two completely disconnected? Taking a look at The Arab Spring – one year on may help us to answer this question.
- Central Asia Forum – 30 May in London. Empowering the Central Asian Church to Change Lives.
- Being the Best – 30 May in London. Being the Best will take place in May and October. This first session will look at Working with Church Leaders - how to get the best for both the church and the mission agency by working more effectively with church leaders.
- Large Churches Mission Forum – 31 May in London. The Practicalities of Recession - determining priorities when budgets are reducing.
- Re:ignite – 2 to 8 June in Keswick is a week’s retreat for mission families, couples and singles on leave in the UK, providing a balance of Bible teaching, practical sessions and refreshing relaxation.
- Muslim World Forum – 13 June in London. Scriptural Reasoning – what is it, what are the pros and cons amongst academics in the UK, how does it work in the US and UK, which parts are exportable to other parts of the Muslim World?
- Relief and Development Forum – 14 June in London. Disasters: an integrated response - the links between risk reduction, climate change and effective response.
- Asian Mission Partnership Day - 16 June in Leicester. Building Partnerships to Reach South Asians. For people involved in mission and ministry amongst South Asians in the UK - to bring us together to share our experience and encourage each other in reaching out.
- Member Care Forum – 28 June in London. Member Care at a Distance. In our world today, that is so strong on communications, is there a way we can undertake good member care other than in person and face-to-face?
Do take the opportunity to place related events on our website. Events need to meet certain criteria so contact us if you would like further information. Global Connections is YOUR network and we long to see it reach its full
potential under the Lord, as we seek together to do His will and to be open to His leading. If you have any ideas as to how the team here can better serve YOU, the network, do please get in touch.